When it comes to building a successful digital marketing strategy for your brand, email is one of the most valuable channels you can use. In fact, email marketing ROI is an incredible 4200%, while advertising emails influence the buying decisions of 50.7% of customers.
So, how do you create a strong email marketing strategy? We’ve put together six helpful tips.
1. Personalisation makes a difference
Addressing a customer by their first name is the most basic form of personalisation in email marketing. From there you can go much deeper and use the channel to develop a unique connection. Here are some of our favourite email personalisation tactics:
- Segment your customers into email lists based on different categories e.g. product preferences, location, amount of money they spend on items etc.
- Deliver your emails at the right time based on customer behaviour to encourage them to take a certain action.
- Create personalised product recommendation emails inspired by customer search behaviour.
- Link your emails to tailored landing pages that are personalised to customer needs.
2. Send educational content
Constantly bombarding your customers with salesy emails is unlikely to get their attention. It’s a fast way to the unsubscribe list and the key is to offer content that’s valuable and encourage them to look forward to reading your emails.
For example, you could create a bi-weekly newsletter featuring thought leadership articles based on experts in your industry. This type of content is educational and breaks up the stream of promotional emails.
3. Invest in email marketing tools
Take advantage of platforms that help to automate and improve email creation. Mailchimp is a great example, as it comes with a wide variety of templates for crafting eye-catching emails.
It also comes with detailed email marketing analytics, so you can measure crucial metrics such as open rate, the number of clicked links, how many people unsubscribed and more.
HubSpot also has powerful email marketing software. It features creative email templates, advanced analytics, personalisation capabilities and campaign generation.
4. Don’t overlook email copywriting
It’s all well and good having a beautifully designed email. But if the copy is disjointed or stuck in a massive wall of text then you’ve got a problem. That’s why you should focus on the following email copywriting techniques:
- Have a catchy and relevant email subject line.
- Keep sentences short and to the point.
- Ensure what you’re writing is relevant to the customer.
- Include 1 – 2 strong Calls To Action (CTAs) that guide readers into making a decision.
5. Make it easy to unsubscribe
While having people unsubscribe to your email list might not be a good feeling, it’s best practice to make the process as easy as possible. It may even create a positive experience.
For instance, a consumer could be interested in your brand, but they don’t want to receive emails anymore. If they find it hard to unsubscribe then it could turn them off your business completely and they’ll look elsewhere.
So, always have an unsubscribe link in your emails that is easy to find.
6. Make your emails mobile friendly
With 85% of people using smartphones to open emails, it’s vital that you design emails with mobile in mind.
One technique is to use pre-header text to grab the attention of your customers as they’re scrolling on their phone. Pre-header text is the first line of copy that appears in an email and lets you expand on the subject line.
Another technique is to focus on displaying smaller images when possible to reduce load time and bandwidth. This can be balanced out with large text to create a good mobile experience.
Start your email marketing with Trio Media
Ready to create epic email campaigns? Trio Media is here to help and for more information on our services contact [email protected].